Advertisement

Thursday, August 3, 2017

It'll All Be Clear




'It'll All Be Clear'

Today, August 3, I got a notice on Facebook that it was a year ago exactly that I discovered someone named Payne Lindsey was planning a podcast about the disappearance of Tara Grinstead. It feels like that was many years ago.

Seriously. I thought I had not talked to one of my friends online for 2 or 3 years, but when I sent her a message about my health this week, I noticed that we last spoke 11 months ago.

It's been that kind of year. The longest of my life.

But somehow during this year, I almost never discovered that Payne was also a pop singer.

I was looking through reddit posts about the podcast a few weeks ago when I noticed that someone had posted links to several music videos. Back in 2013 or so, Payne was apparently the front man of a pop/rap group called Right Side of the Tree.

Payne and I have a lot in common besides being best known for covering the same case. We were both Tenderfoots, which is the lowest rank of Boy Scout, which is why his company is called Tenderfoot TV. And before this year, I too was probably best known for a music video, my ode to life in Irwin County, "Irwinvillain."

Upon discovering his videos, I sent Payne a message saying "I didn't mind not being the best journalist between the two of us, but I thought, at least I have the most embarrassing rap video. I was completely wrong."

I really liked one of his songs, though, a simple but effective pop anthem called "My Life is Amazing." After listening to it only once, it easily resonated with me. I even showed it to the ladies I worked with at The Ocilla Star, which made twice that I listened to the catchy little tune, and I already had the chorus memorized.

"Every day's a movie, I'm rolling up a doobie, there's different girls in my bed, man, my life is amazing."

But the very next day after playing the song at work, I went to the doctor because the acid reflux medicine I was on had not restored the voice I lost more than a month earlier. After hearing a speech about staying positive had the entirely opposite effect, I was utterly convinced I probably had throat cancer.

That night as I laid in bed, I think I was running a fever. I certainly had night sweats, and when I run a fever I have the most monotonous fever dreams. Sometimes I will dream of standing in place for hours, doing nothing. But that night all I did was hear that damnable song I had only heard twice playing on repeat in my head.

And there's nothing more maddening than to have a song stuck in your heard about how amazing someone else's life is when you're scared to death you're dying. By the time I reached a restless morning, I hated "My Life is Amazing."

A few days later, this past Saturday, I woke up coughing blood so I went to the emergency room. A mass was discovered on my lung, but my throat was clear of cancer concerns. This set off a series of visits to medical professionals, which, on the bright side, has allowed me to spend a lot of quality time with my mom.

My mom claims she does not like music. She uses this as an excuse when she sits in obvious discomfort as I try to share my songs with her. It's true that she never listens to the radio or albums, although I think her reactions may be based more on the quality of my singing. It's why I wrote a blues song with the chorus, "I've got a face only Mama could love, but even she don't love my voice."

I've kidded her that with me losing my voice, at least she might not ever have to hear me sing again. She now says she would love to hear me sing again. I'm not so sure.

So Tuesday I went to a very nice pulmonologist, Dr. Rubal Patel, about setting up a biopsy on the mass they found in my lung in the ER Saturday. After the appointment, my mom and I went out to eat.

A song came on at the restaurant with familiar lyrics.

"Settle doooowwwn, it'll all be clear, don't pay no mind to the demons, they fill you with fear. the trouble it might drag you down, if you get lost, you can always be found, just know you're not alone, cause I'm going to make this place your home."

Mama said, "What is this guy's name? I love him."

"I thought you didn't like music?" I accused.

I was convinced the song was made by the Swedish DJ Avicii, whom I incorrectly called Avinicii. Mama said that wasn't right, and the couple at the table next to us proudly declared that the singer was Phillip Phillips of Leesburg, Georgia.

Even though she had forgotten his name, my mom became a big fan of Mr. Phillips when he won American Idol. She even said that buying his album for her would be a nice gift. I became convinced that if Phillip Phillips was her son, she wouldn't sit in discomfort as she listened to his songs.

So I decided then and there that I wasn't a fan of Phillip Phillips.

So the next day, yesterday, Dr. Patel performed a bronchoscope on me to try to figure out what is going on with my health. She discovered I have thrush on my vocal chords, so my lost voice and the mass in my lungs might not even be related. And since thrush is a yeast infection, I can't wait to hear my friends joke about how I should gargle Monistat 7.

I don't remember a whole lot from the procedure, but I remember coughing a lot. Whenever my nose gets stopped up, I tend to cough uncontrollably, and having a camera stuck up your nose is definitely one way to stop it up. I think all my coughing made it difficult to scrape material from the mass for a biopsy, so I may have to be put completely under for another bronchoscope. We'll see.

I was left with an unexplained blotchy rash on my face, I'm guessing from a reaction to the anesthesia, which explains why the waiter at lunch yesterday looked at me like I had a blotchy rash on my face. I coughed up far more blood than I did on Saturday.

And last night, I ran fevers off and on throughout the night, and at one point, as I lay in bed, those familiar lyrics popped into my head:

"Every day's a movie, I'm rolling up a doobie..."

"NOOOOO!" I thought to myself in horror, and I forced myself to internally recite another song instead.

"Settle doooowwwn, it'll all be clear..."

Anyway, thank you all for the love and support, and lively debates, I've received over the past several days. I'll keep you updated, but it may be a week before I know anything new.

8 comments:

  1. Dusty: Sarajane Reid here. I really enjoyed your blog with its openness about your situation. It touched my heart. Here's why. When I met my husband, in college, he lost his voice. It got worse and he didn't talk for, well, a long time: years. But he had a particularly bad medical experience so his Mom took him to a doctor in Chicago. The doctor told him he would talk again. And...he did, just before we were married. Seems like when he was under stress it just manifested in his respiratory/throat. Fast forward to my father who had exactly the same medical experiences as you (minus the thrush, which, by the way, babies sometime get.) dad went on to have treatment. He lived to be 82. He was a writer. Now, on to music. My son has a very professional, white collar job, but for 21 years he has had a musical career as a lead singer/front man mostly performing in our State. He won a jingle contest and went to Nashville where his original songs were considered. About that Jingke. I could send that to you to replace Payne's. Otherwise, you can check Andy out on You Tube with Kings of Radio. Perhaps you could get diverted by his band and their 80's and 90's cover music. You will be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Home" is one if my favorites Dusty! Listened to it a lot at a particular time in my life when I wasn't feeling very at home here. Glad to say those feelings have passed! So glad to call you friend and praying for peace and comfort for you during this unsettled and scary time of your life. Love you! Rox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely juxtipositions Dusty. May your samples all be clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a cancer survivor I can honestly say that if there is one thing that a bad health scare can bring about, it's a realization of what is actually important in your life. Find what brings you joy, Dusty, and do the best you can for yourself. There are lots of us out here sending good energy your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dusty, I always enjoy your blogs. You are such a visual writer. I can see you in my mind during your procedure coughing, at the restsurant with your mom, & bless you dealing with your fever. You are in my prayers, continue to write about your feelings & continue to get better quickly, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Advice given to me after a cancer diagnosis 20 years ago: Don't worry until they give you something to worry about. In other words, stay in the moment, not the moment that might be. You are in my prayers tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every day, I refresh this tab, opened on the home page of Rational To A Fault, and I was beginning to be worried. And, since I'm always on the road, I usually swap from podcasts to Audiobooks, and I was caught in the Pendergast Series, so U and V was patiently waiting in the cue for another trip. Then, five days ago, I listened to the last 6 episodes of the podcast, and it was then I learned of your loss, your health problems, read your "I lost my voice" article on reddit (since I'm from Montréal Canada, there was no point for me tu subscribe to the Ocila Star), and I got all the answers to my interrogations. Even if I don't know you, you were part of my weekly routine. And, for some weeks, I needed my fix real bad. But now, I understand your reasons, and the effects it had on the blog. I am really sad to realise how this adventure managed to, at the same time, put you in the spotlight, while putting your head under the guillotine. I cannot think of your situation without having a scene of a spectacular movie, and the soundtrack that goes with it (and I hope this earworm will help you forget Payne's song), it's the Reservoir Dogs scene where "Stuck In The Middle With You" plays.

    I started reading you because of the Up and Vanished podcast, and I'm not the only one. But, I remained faithful even when you went "off topic", as some would say. I really enjoy the way you write, how you tell your stories. I understand you need to take a step back, from Tara's story, at least, and for your health. But, I'm sure that, once again, I'm not the only one who would enjoy even a short story of you hitting your big toe on the corner of your bed.

    I've missed reading you. Please don't give up! I'm sorry, English is a second language for me, and I struggle a bit to express my feelings clearly, but the heart of my message is: don't give up your written voice! Because, if the pen is mightier than the sword, you are D'Artagnan with words. I'll leave you with another earworm that makes me think of you in all of this, with the words of Cat Stevens:"I can't keep it in, I can't keep it in, I've gotta let it out."

    In hope, I'll keep refreshing!

    And you can say you have a fan in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your support and love. I really appreciate it a lot. And Stephy, you're the second person today, and the second person ever, from Canada to message me in support. Those were some really heady compliments. I deeply appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete