Advertisement

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

If I Was On the Grand Jury


Photo: GBI Special Agent Jason Shoudel leads Ryan Duke into the courtroom for his first appearance Feb. 23, 2017 as Irwin County Clerk of Court Nancy Ross looks on.

If I Was on the Grand Jury

In less than 24 hours, the Irwin County Grand Jury will convene for the first time since Ryan Duke was arrested and charged with the murder of Tara Grinstead.

We don't know for sure that Ryan Duke's case will be heard by the Grand Jury, and if it is, the grand jurors will only hear one side of the story, the prosecution's side. But they can ask questions.

If I was on the Grand Jury, I would have a lot of questions I would want answered.

The first and most important question is "Why?" Why do investigators believe Ryan Duke killed Tara? Why do they believe he did it? What was his alleged motive?

I may be able to answer the first "Why?" I've been told Bo Dukes told investigators Ryan did it. I believe a DNA link was made to the glove found in Tara's yard. I've even been told Ryan confessed.

But I've never heard a satisfying answer to why he may have killed her. Not once.

And even if I'm right with my above assertions what do they tell us? Bo Dukes is someone who stole from our military during war time. Can he be believed? All a DNA link to a glove tells us is that someone was in Tara's yard. It doesn't tell us if that someone killed her or even if she was killed at all.

I would ask for what proof there is that she was murdered.

Even if Ryan confessed, could you believe a man who has kidney problems, who might be slowly dying, might take a fall to protect someone, possibly friends or family or a romantic interest? Beyond the rumors of renal failure, we know Ryan has kidney problems because they were mentioned in reports when he was arrested in 2010.

I would ask if Ryan is dying.

If all the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has as far as evidence linking Ryan to that house is the testimony of a thief, a link to a glove that places him outside, not inside, and the confession of a dying man, then if I was on the Grand Jury, I would have even further questions.

You see, I've heard a few rumors that supposedly originated with Ryan Duke, and in those rumors, if they are true, he told someone he was taking the fall. One of those rumors I consider to be more than a rumor since I can follow a "chain of custody" back to Ryan himself. Ryan told someone who told someone I trust who told me.

And what Ryan told this someone is that Tara died accidentally and some people freaked out and tried to cover up her death. And while I don't believe everything about this story, one part of it rings true in my ears.

Supposedly, in this story, she died in a pecan orchard, not at her home.

I think that before Ryan Duke was arrested most people believed Tara left her home voluntarily when she disappeared in 2005. The evidence seemed to suggest that.

It still does.

If I was on the grand jury, I would have lots of questions about whether Tara even died at her home. I think the evidence strongly suggests otherwise.

Why are there no clear signs of a struggle? Dr. Maurice Godwin's investigation into the case showed things that could indicate a struggle, such as a broken lamp and a broken necklace clasp, but the initial law enforcement officers on the scene said there were no signs of a struggle. At best, we can say the evidence is inconclusive as to whether there was a struggle.

Why are there are no signs of forced entry into Tara's home? Again, Godwin found evidence that suggests it would have been easy to open one of her windows, but I've never heard of any actual evidence that someone used that window or any other to enter her home. Again, at best the evidence is inconclusive.

Why was her purse missing? Would someone kill Tara, drag her body to a vehicle and also take her purse? Why? To make it seem like she left voluntarily or that the crime was a robbery of some sort? It doesn't seem plausible. Could it be to hide DNA or fingerprints? Again, not likely. Without resorting to fanciful thinking, the missing purse strongly indicates that she left on her own.

Why were her keys missing or the pageant tape she was supposed to watch that night? Perhaps they were in her purse? Someone might take the keys to be able to freely enter her house or drive her car, and the pageant tape may not have existed at all, but considered along with the other evidence, it seems unlikely someone would take the time to steal them.

Why did her dog, Dolly Madison, not make a loud enough fuss to wake neighbors if someone was attacking her owner inside her home? Why was Dolly, an inside dog, left outside? Did Tara let her out when she left to go elsewhere?

Why was Tara missing at all? I haven't researched this, but common sense will tell you that most murder victims are left where they die. Why take the risk of moving a body, especially when the killer would have to drive a nerve-wracking 20 minutes to the pecan orchard where her remains were believed to be disposed of.

Furthermore, how could a relatively small man like Ryan Duke carry her body on his own? It would be possible, probably, but also very difficult.

Why was her seat let back in her car? Although this might be explained by an investigator letting it back while processing the car for clues, a more likely reason is that someone taller than Tara, who was short, drove the car.

Why were her tires muddy on the car she kept impeccably clean? She was not known to drive anywhere muddy on the night she disappeared. Did someone drive the car somewhere muddy, such as a pecan orchard with a pond?

Why was $100 in cash found inside her unlocked car? Wouldn't Tara have brought the money inside if she was home for the evening?

One of the reasons I keep asking all these questions is a new clue I recently learned, or at least, it was a new clue to me. An eyewitness told me that she was coming home on the night Tara went missing and she looked over at Tara's house and saw the carport light on, and Tara's car was missing at 1:30 a.m.

Where was her car? Could someone have driven the car back to Tara's yard and worn latex gloves to hide their fingerprints? Could that same person have dropped the glove in Tara's yard as they walked to the road to be picked up, and in a twist of irony, the thing they hoped would disguise their identity would one day be used to identify them?

I think it's possible.

But there could be evidence we in the public don't know, evidence that clearly indicates what happened and why. But we don't know.

And if I was on the Grand Jury, I would want to know, because I am very afraid we were being sold a lie, not by the GBI, but by those the GBI has chosen to believe. I don't know what the purpose of this lie could be, who it could be trying to protect, or what the truth actually is, but the clues do not seem to add up to the picture the GBI, and possibly Bo Dukes and Ryan Duke, are presenting.

If I was on the Grand Jury, I would want answers.

And the thing is, I am on the Grand Jury. At least for now. And I do want answers.

I was chosen for my first Grand Jury in February, not knowing that an arrest would be made in the Tara Grinstead case just a few weeks into my 6 month term. I might be struck from the Grand Jury because of my coverage of the case or I might even ask to be excused because it might complicate my continuing coverage, but right now I'm on it.

Frankly I haven't made my mind up about Ryan Duke, so I would consider myself impartial in that regard, and no one in the jury room will be ignorant of the case, probably in part because they've read articles I've written. I think it might be good to have someone as knowledgeable about the case as me in the jury room, because I will ask questions and seek the truth, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be knowledgeable or who would ask questions.

And it's entirely possible the GBI has the right guy and the right story, and that the evidence is overwhelmingly in support of that story, but it's also possible, from what we know, that the GBI accepted an incomplete or even faulty story they wanted to hear to solve a case that seemed unsolvable for more than a decade.

We might know more and already have answers, but a gag order in this case and the usual secrecy of law enforcement investigations have left more questions than answers, and as I've said before, suspicion fills the vacuum left by secrecy.

If I'm not on the Grand Jury for whatever reason, I want the other jurors to know the questions I would ask. Because we need the truth more than a misled conviction.  If the wrong man is convicted or guilty parties go free, then there is no justice.

And everyone seems to want justice for Tara, but there can be no justice without first knowing the truth.

If the evidence is there, then by all means, I hope the Grand Jury indicts Ryan Duke, but the first job of the grand jurors is to make sure the evidence is there. Find the truth, with or without me.

11 comments:

  1. Excellent thinking, questions are critical to getting to the truth, the best we can from where we are today. It's not a railroad, it's a grand jury. Good luck, Dusty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often thought myself that she may have not have been killed at home. The night she was supposedly killed there were rumors going around town the next morning at a popular meeting spot for the older people to gather, Popeyes. I heard from lots of folks who said that a man living on the Vo-Tech road was sitting on his porch that night and saw a vehicle pass by and heard a lady's voice screaming. They assumed it was just people fussing etc. Never thought much about it until learning of her disappearance. They said the police were told but nothing ever came of it. Just something else to think about! Also witnesses at the party said she received a phone call and after hanging up said immediately that she had to go. I've often wondered who she was talking too. I hope we get the answers and that she can finally be at peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting...

      Delete
    2. I don't think I had ever heard about a woman screaming on Vo-Tech. I find it very interesting. Can you contact me on FB? I'd like to hear more.

      Delete
  3. No one should go free are have less sentence because of who they know this case needs justice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written and enlightening Dusty. There is absolutely no way I will ever be convinced that we are being fed the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and what is especially disheartening and quite scary is that the very people who are sworn to protect & serve are the ones who hold the missing links to the truth of what happened to Tara. What about the list of names that supposedly was left by the one who committed suicide in the last few years?? What about the information floating around that it was Bo's number in Tara's phone and vice versa and NOT Ryan's number in her phone? Why did Ryan's fingerprints not show up before now since he had 2 previous DUI arrests? Just a few things that make me go hmmm???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brother, As an Ex Police Officer, u kinda sound like you his definse Attorny.... And you KNOW HOW WE HAD TO KEEP OUR SECRECT to finish the case and have all are ducks in a row.. Next, I told you who did it and why, then the GBI came in My computer store, and wanted to have a series conversation about her, I went to the crime seen, her house was tore all to pieces, I even told u were the glove came from, there were her finger nails clawed in the wall walking out the door.. When I told the GBI who I thought I was gonna die they felt the same way and legally tapped his phone because they normally end up the criminal return to it...man they only did this a week.. ill tell you the info
      in person the man is in a respectable position and I need to walk away, as far as the guy they have, maybe the guy that did it, Higher him to take the body maybe he was paid to take the fall the rubber glove was still just out her front door when I got there.. the house was destroyed and, I knew exactly who the piece of shit was that did it
      and he was obsessed with her she wanted nothing to do with him, I feel he wasn't gonna be rejected again, so he rapped and killed her.
      as far as the guy they are pinning the charges on. well he didn't know enough to describe the house, but he had a hell of a time knowing what she looked like because he was involver n some money, but he killed her, naaaa chow Brother
      303

      Delete
    2. Kelly, can you contact me on Facebook?

      Delete
  5. omg I spent over an hour making a post I hit preview and the post, never showed up grrrrrr
    303

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just moved here to Wilcox county a couple years ago, but just hearing alot of this stuff,alot does not make sense! And I do know alot of people do time in prison for crimes they did not do. Your right to ask for answers for stuff that does not seem to make any sense, and those that are trying to keep things such a secret are wrong and could cause the wrong people to pay while the true crime committed person goes free. Could the money be in the car because she was going to pay for drugs and died from them before she payed for them,and could she have doing drugs that no one knew she was into? Alot of people are flabbergasted to find out that someone they thought they knew everything about,was doing something they never believed they could be into doing!! Bless her heart,the truth needs to be found so the right people answer for whatever crime was committed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post.

    Occam's Razor

    The dog she let out only when gone was still out after she disappeared, suggesting she never came home or left immediately.
    Car had 100 dollars cash in it with door unlocked
    Car seat moved out of TG position
    Only pocketbook, underwear and keys missing.
    The suicide note listing 12 names had one name on it who was a known, close associate of Bo Dukes. This is improbable by chance alone.
    Witness drove near house that night at 1:30 a.m. and said the carport light was on but the car was gone. Jeans and phone found in the home; no word on blouse
    Mud was claimed to be on TG’s car, but photos at the time do not support this
    Ryan stated in apparent interview with GBI (somewhat speculative at this point) that he went to her house to rob her, and fumbled through her purse. That TG awoke and he hit her, and that he was too “messed up” to remember what happened next.
    Neither Bo nor Ryan are reliable, but touching the purse might explain why he would have taken it from the house to dispose of the body since his prints were on it. Same thing for the keys.

    But there is a simpler narrative:

    TG went to the pecan orchard (where Ryan and Bo lived) to see some other guy that was there. She took her car, pocketbook, and phone and was wearing jeans, underwear and a blouse. There someone (possibly Ryan) killed her (see ex-girlfriend's comment that Bo “watched”). Ryan took her car, jeans and phone back to her house, using a latex glove to keep prints off of the items. If he did not kill TG, he may have been “chosen” as the one to return the items because he knew where she lived. TG’s remains, her underwear, pocketbook and keys were disposed of together after Ryan made it back to the Pecan orchard.

    ReplyDelete