Advertisement

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Anger Anxiety and Apologies



I should be finishing the paper right now or sleeping or getting well. Instead, I'm bothered and down and embarrassed and feel I must admit my failings and in my own way, repent.

But before I admit my mistakes, I'm going to talk about criticism and cowardice and bravery.

I'm thin-skinned. It's one of my many, many flaws. Some, but not all criticisms wound and consume me.

You might think I'm talking about the person who called my blog circular reasoning, but that one didn't really bother me. It was just the final straw in that relationship. I'm not going to help someone who regularly and needlessly disrespects me.

Then, today with Wendy Floyd… I asked her respectfully not to accuse people on my Facebook page. She did again, while also calling me a coward. Her insults didn't bother me, not much, but I am not going to let her accuse people on my page anymore.

Then, I blocked someone on Facebook for the first time, her. A few minutes later I blocked someone for the second time when she came on with another account. Minutes later, she called me.

I told her to stop harassing me. She insulted and challenged me. I was angry, but I was trying to control my emotions.

Then she insinuated that God took my late nephew because I'm not a Christian.

"He already took your nephew," she said. "What's next?"

I hung up rather than say the nastiest things I have ever said to a human being. I wasn't insulted or wounded. I was just deeply, seethingly angry.

This experience, more than any in my life, has shown me that people are good or evil due entirely to their character, not their religious beliefs. Because I know people who wouldn't lift a Bible if there was gold under it who would have never even thought to say something so vile and despicable.

I'm going to seethe over what she said for some time, and I'm going to explore my legal options to end her harassment, but it's still not the type of criticism that wounds me, which curdles my confidence.

Someone tonight on Up and Vanished said that, to him, reading yesterday's blog was like "a 40-year-old madame reading the sex journal of a 13-year-old virgin." Now, first off, I respect the artistry. That's as colorful and creative as criticisms come.

But I felt run over, crushed. I admired the beauty of the classic automobile that ran over me, but I was crushed just the same.

You can disagree with my assertions, my conclusions or my political beliefs, and it doesn't faze me, but if you criticize my creations or the style of them, I wilt. I can receive 99 compliments, but that one criticism just crumbles me.

It's stupid, I know, but I thrive on honesty.

But that's OK. My friend Daniel keeps telling me that I need to prepare myself for it, and this right here is my way of working through these anxieties. What I'm writing now is my own strange therapy.

But I want y'all to know that even though I call myself a coward, I've seen dozens of sappy adventure movies where the moral of the story is that bravery is not being without fear, it's about having the courage to overcome that fear.

So when I say these things in this public forum, know that the bravery it requires is almost Herculean, because I am deeply afraid of those even deeper wounds I know the next criticism will cause.

But still I keep writing.

And another crippling fear I must face each time I write is the possibility that I'm making a mistake, and already, in the past 5 to 6 weeks, I've made a few. Last night, I did again.

I wondered aloud if someone I called "Courtney" was telling someone named koeli information about me or if they were actually the same person. I was confused because information I had just told "Courtney" suddenly appeared on the Up and Vanished board said by koeli.

Well, as it turns out, they probably had no connection at all.

Someone told me tonight that I was the one who shared the information myself, several weeks ago. If you read last night's blog, you know I briefly joined a private discussion group one night. Apparently, I shared the information with the group then, the information koeli later shared on UAV.

I checked the dates, and I joined the discussion group the day after I heard the information, so it was fresh on my mind. I can't know for sure, but I was probably the source, and it was probably just a damnable coincidence that the information came to light on UAV the day after I told "Courtney."

So, I want to apologize to koeli especially, since I used her actual UAV handle, but I also apologize to "Courtney."

Apparently, I burned my bridge with "Courtney," who told me tonight that they were going to keep their story safe, i.e. they weren't going to tell me what they weren't telling me anyway. I think I may have even been blocked.

That's OK. I still didn't really trust "Courtney" as a source, since I have no idea who they are or what they wanted from me. It's hard to trust someone who won't even share their name.

(My long-time online girlfriend would also find that last statement ironic).

Basically, I'm like a lawyer, who once you pay them they're on the clock and they can invoke attorney-client privilege. With me, once you give me your name and tell me something you want kept secret (usually even if I think you might want to keep it secret without you explicitly saying so) I'm working to protect you.

I guess I'm going to burn bridges as part of this particular job, though. I've scorched at least three in less than 24 hours. I hate it, but I've got to trust my gut, even if it sometimes fails me. I want to do the right thing. I don't want to make people angry or hurt feelings, and I feel like I did with "Courtney," and that's why I feel guilty about it all.

I'm sorry. I really am.

No one ever said that feeling alive wouldn't make you feel miserable sometimes. At least I'm feeling something.

Oh well, I've got a job to do. A lot of them.

15 comments:

  1. Please never give up! I'm not a reader by no means but this is honestly the first time iv followed some ones blog so closely. Thank you so much, for everything you write!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dusty Vassey---welcome to my world!!!!! Trusting someone without a face is like going to bat for the Devil's team. I'm been sucked into so much drama by people who I sincerely thought had Tara's best interest at heart. Sadly, I later found out that all they desired was wanting a dash of this and a tad of that in order to feed it to the "forum of the day" on whatever discussion board they were posting on at the time. I felt so betrayed many, many times. ~~~AGG

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shouldn't of mentioned Wendy in here, she's going to run with it and take it as a good thing that you're showing her attention. There's a difference between how some people comprehend information and skew it to automatically fit their narritive however which way they see it suitable. Proceed with caution there, just friendly word of advice. But with that said, you should file something, anything, for a harassment charge that will have reprocussions if she attempts to contact you. That woman knows no low and has the emotional maturity of a 15 year old. I wish that didn't come across like an insult and more so meant as just a true stated fact. I have never come in contact with her and have no personal vendetta against her. Hell, I live in California I've never spoken to the woman but I have seen enough from her on the various social media outlets she is subscribed to. You know who you are and the morals that accompany you. Your nephew is just a fact and name to her that she knows associated with you to push your buttons. Don't ever take comments personal from somebody who knows absolutely nothing about the individual they are speaking bad about. When it all comes down to it she will be judged by god and others for the person she's become and comments she makes. Take that advice for anybody, not just her. On my last and final note of what is turning out to be an essay lol... Your agenda will always be clear and concise that's disclosed at the end of each and every story you put out in the pages. But you never truly know what the other person's motive is behind giving intel on a story. Never let your guard down and truly get too close to a source beyond the predetermined lines you make going into starting that "relationship."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not everyone likes Pineapple. Did the critic give you more context around his statement or was it just a bullet statement (I'm sure he was dying to use) aimed at your heart? If the later, he's jealous. If it's not constructive criticism, then don't waste your time or emotions on words that are like big clouds producing no rain. He's the one with the problem. You're a talented writer-the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honesty is such a rare commodity these days...and yet you have it in abundance! Love it! Hold your head up, and keep being awesome!!! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry there are people in this world with no feelings and who also have gigantic mouths who spew ugliness. You don't deserve any of their ridicules. They don't have to read your blog, they choose to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so refreshing to read such raw journalism. I suspect your feelings and thoughts are ones many of us hold in our hearts. Keep on keeping on. Remember the 99 who love you for who you are and try to forget the 1.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dusty we like what you write and while we may not always agree with you, you make us think of things outside our comfort zone. Keep doing what you are doing. We depend on you to keep us honest and to call us on our nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mistakes will be made. Others will be blamed.
    That is the motto by which most of the world functions.
    You have chosen the path of most resistance and admitted your fault.
    Well done! Respect earned. Carry on soldier of the press.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing is not a profession for the thin of skin, yet so many of us are that exactly.

    You know part of what I've been through. Hope it never happens to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your articles. Never stop writing my friend, it is your calling. As far as folks being upset, it's gonna happen. My grandpa used to tell me some folks cold be standing at the pearly gates with a front row ticket, a fried chicken leg in each hand, and still find something to complain about. Personally, in your line of work with a case like this, if there is no controversy you aren't doing it right. Carry on and good luck sir!

    ReplyDelete
  12. as a Christian, it makes me sad when people who claim to know Christ treat non-believers like that. Please don't loop all of us in with her. I just discovered your blog and love it. I hope you continue to find peace in this intense time of scrutiny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am Koeli. I have held off responding because I was not in the right frame of mind. For many reasons, I cannot give my name and for this I will be called a troll yet again. I have been set up, used, exploited, and attacked. This was always going to happen and I was foolish to have thought otherwise but it is not your fault Dusty. I love your blog. Please keep writing.

    Koeli

    ReplyDelete
  14. I, too, am a writer, and I, too, am riddled with anxiety. You don't know any of my work, though. Why is that? Because only one of us has the bravery to face the fact that criticism is inherent in sharing your creations with the world, and that brave soul is you. Your writing is raw and honest and authentic, and I look forward to all of your blog posts. Thank you for sharing what makes you such a great writer - your thoughts and your feelings. Thank you for inspiring me. I can't wait to read your book - hopefully I'll have an opportunity to get a signed copy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As an English major myself, I LOVE your writing style on this blog. It's like reading great prose from a writer who speaks well and whose grammar is on point! Mostly though, I appreciate your honesty and your willingness to just be you. I look forward to reading your book. Signed, somebodysmom

    ReplyDelete