Advertisement

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Nothing Compares 2 U: A Tribute to Prince


I was never a huge Prince fan.

By that I mean, I don't have Prince posters on my walls. I don't own all his albums. I never even once saw him in concert.

But having said all that, how can anyone not be a Prince fan? I've enjoyed every song I've ever heard by him. I would like to take time to listen to more, and now that we've lost him, I think I'll take that time to sample some of the immortality he left behind.

Like many of you, Prince has also affected my love life, though unusually, he affected mine in a mildly humorous way. When I was in high school, I dated a girl who wore a barrette in her hair. My dad used to tease me about it by calling her "Little Red Barrette." Or was it "Raspberry Barrette?" Maybe it was both.

Ironically, it was a song written by Prince, but not performed by him, that had the most effect on me: Sinead O'Connor's 1990 hit "Nothing Compares 2 U." It was my favorite song at a time when I had had few favorite songs. I remember, in those days before you could call up YouTube and listen to any song at any time, that I would listen to the radio in hopes that they would play that tune.

It is and always will be one of my favorite songs of all time.

Only a few years ago, the longest romantic relationship of my life came to an end. A few days later, I was driving home from work and "Nothing Compares 2 U" came on the radio. That song that had connected with me for so long, connected with me as it never had before. I felt the emotion in every word "like a bird without a song."

When I got home, I sent a link of the song's video to the woman I loved, and it led to us reuniting, if only for a while. In that way, Prince helped give me one of the last tender moments with someone who may end up being the love of my life. He helped me, like he has helped many of us, love.

What an extraordinary gift.

So this is my gift back to Prince Rogers Nelson, an artist without compare. This is my own rendition of the song that meant so much to me. It always will.

https://youtu.be/R8WC9xzcH5I

0 comments:

Post a Comment